Who is eligible to apply at Charter Oak Communities? 

Families and individuals applying for any of our programs must meet the income eligibility requirements of the desired program and demonstrate that their annual income does not exceed the income limits established for occupancy by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or other regulatory agency.

All adult members of the household must either be a U.S. citizen or have an eligible non-citizen status (i.e., resident card, work authorization permit or visa). COC has the responsibility to provide a safe environment to our residents. Due to our commitment, we will deny occupancy to households that have a record of criminal activity or drug-related activity that would adversely affect the health and safety of others.

If an application is denied due to credit or criminal background check, what are the options?

If an application is denied, the applicant may appeal the decision. Once the appeal is requested in writing, the applicant will be invited to meet with the Hearing Officer to review their case. The applicant must come prepared with all proper documentation supporting their appeal. Please click here for more information.

What happens to my application once I apply?

Once the applicant reaches the top of any waiting list and there is an available unit, the head of household, spouse and all family members of 18 years of age or more will be screened, based on all income sources including but not limited to the verification of credit and criminal background.

What is my status on the waiting list?

You can verify your status on the waiting list by visiting our applicant portal HMS OWL. This new portal will provide you with the status of your application 24/7 via your mobile device or computer.

If you are unable to access the portal, COC will mail out waiting list status updates to all current applicants every six months. As a result of these improvements, COC will no longer provide waiting list status via the telephone.

My address has changed. How do I inform Charter Oak Communities?

All changes in address must be reported to the leasing office in writing using this form. Applicants can inform us of their change via mail, email, drop-off to office or by fax, 203-977-1423.

When will I be offered an apartment?

It is difficult to state the length of time applicants will be on waiting the list. Applicants are taken from the list according to the next available unit and household eligibility. The next available unit is determined by vacancies.

Is there any Emergency Housing?

Unfortunately, we do not offer emergency housing. If you are in need of emergency housing please contact United Way of CT 211 at https://uwc.211ct.org/categorysearch/housing/ or by calling 211.

How does Charter Oak Communities calculate a resident’s monthly rent?

Income-based programs rents are calculated by using the methods and income measures mandated by HUD and other regulatory agencies. A household’s total resident payment is the highest of:

  • 30% of the family’s adjusted monthly income 
  • 10% of the family’s gross monthly income 
  • The minimum rent 

Alternatively, a resident can choose to pay a flat rent.