Dear Residents:
You are invited to a resident meeting to talk about Charter Oak Communities’
(COC) plans to convert Ursula Park Townhouses and Sheridan Mews from the
public housing program to Section 8 rental assistance under the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD).

The meeting information is:

Two meetings will be held before COC submits applications to HUD. Residents of
Ursula Park Townhouses and Sheridan Mews are invited to both meetings, and
anyone else that is interested is also welcome to attend. Both meetings will be
held at the East Side Management Office, located at 32‐34 Custer Street.

The dates and times of the two meetings are:

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.,

and Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.

RAD is a voluntary program run by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban
Development (HUD). Under RAD, HUD will change the way it provides rental
assistance to the property from public housing to a long‐term Section 8 assistance contract. The Section 8 program would make it easier for us to access money to repair and improve the property, either now or in the future.
This letter describes your rights under RAD and explains how a RAD conversion might affect you.

Whether we participate in RAD or not, you will still get rental assistance.

Your Right to Information
With this letter, we have included “Attachment #1,” which is a description of our
current plans for the property. At the meeting, we will describe the RAD program
and our current ideas in more detail. If we submit an application to HUD and are
accepted into the program, we will have at least one additional meeting with you
about our plans. You have the right to hear about major changes in the plans for
the project, and we will invite you to additional meetings if key features of the
plans change. You also have a right to organize and to form a resident organization
to serve as your voice and to help you become well informed about the RAD plans.

Your Right to Rental Assistance
Our decision to participate in RAD does not affect your rental assistance eligibility.
You are not subject to new eligibility screening. If we satisfy all HUD requirements
and the property is placed under a Section 8 Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)
contract, you have a right to ongoing rental assistance as long as you comply with
the requirements of your lease. In most cases, your rent will not change with the
conversion from public housing to Section 8. In the rare event that your rent
calculation would change (most commonly, when you are paying a “ceiling rent”),
the increase would be phased in over time.

Your Right to Return
You have a right to return to an assisted unit once any construction work is done.
However, we may need to move you during construction and your post‐
construction home may be a different unit than your current home. If the plans
involve the transfer of the rental assistance to a different site, you may need to
move to the new site to keep your rental assistance (provided that it is within a
reasonable distance of your current home), but you still have a right to an assisted

You get to return to a RAD Section 8 unit unless you choose to move somewhere
else. If you believe the plans prevent you from exercising your right to return, you
have the right to object to the plans. RAD program rules require us to make sure
that anyone who wants to return can do so.

Your Right to Relocation Assistance
In some situations, we may need to relocate you from your unit temporarily in
order to complete repairs or do construction. Since we are at the beginning of the
planning process for the RAD conversion, we don’t yet know whether you will need to move. You do not need to move now.
If we require you to move, you are entitled to certain relocation protections under
the RAD rules, including, in all cases, advance written notice and detailed
information about the move. The other specific relocation protections depend on
the situation, but may include advisory services, moving assistance, payments and
other assistance.

In some cases, you have additional rights under other Federal laws, such as the
Federal Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act,
often referred to as the “Uniform Relocation Act.” If the Uniform Relocation Act
applies, we must give you a “General Information Notice” which is also referred to
as a “GIN.” To make sure we are complying with the Uniform Relocation Act, we
are including the GIN with this letter. The GIN describes rights you have, but may
also describe situations that don’t apply to you.
Don’t Put Your Rights at Risk!

You are always welcome to move based on your household’s needs and personal
goals. However, if the RAD effort will require relocation and you choose to move
from the property on your own without waiting for instructions from us, you may
lose your eligibility for relocation payments and assistance. If you want to preserve your relocation rights, please wait until you get a Notice of Relocation and instructions to move from us!

The RAD conversion, and any relocation associated with it, must be implemented
consistent with fair housing and civil rights requirements. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, or have other questions about the RAD conversion, please contact Jamie Perna, COC Operations Manager. E‐mail: Phone: (203) 977‐1400 ext. 3339, or

Jon Gottlieb, Vice President, Rippowam Corporation. E‐mail: Phone: (203) 977‐1400 ext. 3405, who will assist you.

If you need to appeal a decision made by us, or if you think your rights aren’t being protected, you may contact Jennifer Gottlieb‐Elizhari, Director, Hartford HUD Field Office. E‐mail: Phone: (860) 240‐9757.

Because we are very early in the process, the plans for the RAD conversion may
change. We are holding resident meetings to share our current ideas and will keep
you informed about major changes to these ideas as we develop our plans. You
should also share with us any information you have on repairs that need to be
made, since you know the property best. We will give that information to the
people who are helping us figure out what work needs to be done at the property.
We hope this letter gives you useful information about your rights. We are also
including with this letter a list of frequently asked questions and answers that may
help you understand the RAD program better. We encourage you to come to the
resident meetings to learn more about how the RAD conversion would impact your property and you.
Dan Persaud
Property Manager

Current Plans for the Property
Note: These plans may change as we do more research. As we improve the plans,
we will consider the following: your opinions; an independent professional’s
analysis of what needs to be repaired at the property; the cost to maintain the
property for the long‐term; and the financing we may be able to get.
Here is a description of COC’s plans for both Ursula Park and Sheridan Mews. The
plans apply to both developments. COC plans to convert the rental assistance for
residents from public housing operating subsidy to Section 8 Project‐Based
Vouchers (PBV). The way that resident rent payment is calculated will not change.
Residents will continue to pay approximately 30% of their income for rent and
utilities. With PBV rental assistance, residents may request a tenant‐based
voucher that can be used elsewhere, not just in the same apartment.
COC plans to transfer ownership of the developments to a non‐profit organization
that it controls. COC will continue to provide property management and
maintenance services. COC plans to perform repairs that are needed as part of the
conversion process. At this time, COC believes that all anticipated repairs can be
completed with residents remaining in their homes. No relocation of residents is
expected at this time. For residents, little will change except their rental assistance
coming through the Section 8 vouchers instead of under public housing. All
resident rights and protections will remain in place.

Frequently Asked Questions about RAD Conversions

Will a RAD conversion affect my housing assistance?
You will not lose your housing assistance and you will not be subject to eligibility
re‐screening as a result of the RAD conversion. You can remain in your unit
regardless of your current income. However, your PHA will continue to follow its
annual and interim re‐examination processes, including re‐examination of your
income to adjust your rent. These requirements will be in your lease.
In a RAD conversion, your housing assistance will change from being public housing assistance to being Section 8 housing assistance under either the Project Based Voucher (PBV) program or the Project Based Rental Assistance (PBRA) program.

The PHA chooses whether to convert the unit to PBV or PBRA.

Will a RAD conversion affect my rent?
Most residents will not have a rent increase as a result of a RAD conversion.
However, if you are paying a flat rent in public housing, you will most likely have to
pay more in rent over time. If your rent changes by more than 10% and requires
you to pay more than $25 per month in additional rent, your new rent will be
phased in. If the increase in your rent is less than 10% or $25 per month, the
change in rent will be effective immediately.

How can I participate in the RAD planning process?
Prior to participating in RAD, HUD requires PHAs to:
• Notify all residents at the property about their RAD plans, and
• Conduct at least two (2) meetings with residents.

These meetings are an opportunity for you to discuss the proposed conversion
plans with your PHA, ask questions, express concerns and provide comments.
These meetings are also an opportunity to tell the PHA what you think needs to be repaired at the property. The PHA can then consider that information when
developing plans for the property.
The PHA must have at least one more meeting with all residents of the property
before HUD approves the final RAD conversion. This additional meeting is another opportunity for the PHA to keep you informed and for you to provide comments about the PHA’s RAD conversion plans.

In addition to these resident meetings, your Resident Advisory Board (RAB) will
also be consulted and have an opportunity to make recommendations on your
PHA’s RAD conversion plans during the PHA Plan public hearing process.
What if I need accommodations to participate?
Your PHA must make materials available in accessible formats for persons with
disabilities and must make meetings accessible for persons with disabilities.
Your PHA must also provide language assistance to persons with limited English
proficiency so that you can understand materials, participate in meetings, and
provide comments on the proposed RAD conversion. This may include providing
written translation of the PHA’s written materials and providing oral interpreters at

Will I have to move if my home or building is rehabbed?
If the repairs planned at your property are small, you will most likely be able to
stay in your home during renovation. If the repairs planned at your property are
more extensive, you will most likely need to be relocated during rehabilitation.
Even if you are required to move during the construction, you have a right to
return to a RAD‐assisted unit after construction is completed.
If relocation will last longer than 12 months, you benefit from additional
protections as a “displaced person” under the Uniform Relocation Act. In this
situation, you will be able to choose between the permanent relocation assistance
that you are eligible for under the Uniform Relocation Act and the temporary
relocation assistance (including the right to return) that you are eligible for under
RAD. This is your choice and the PHA must work with you so you have the
information you need to make this choice.

What changes will I see in my lease renewal process?
At the time of the RAD conversion, you will need to sign a new lease. Unless there
is good cause for eviction based on your actions, your new lease will continue to
renew. Under both the PBV and PBRA programs, a property owner who tries to
end your lease must give you notice and grievance rights similar to the rights you
have under public housing and the owner must follow state and local eviction laws.

Will RAD affect my rights and participation as a resident in the development?
RAD keeps many of the resident rights available under public housing such as the
ability to request an informal hearing and the timeliness of termination
notification. You also have a right to organize, and resident organizations will
continue to receive up to $25 per occupied unit each year.

Will RAD increase my ability to choose where I live?
In most cases, you will have greater choice in where to live through the RAD
“choice mobility option.” This option is available under PBV after living in a RAD
property for one (1) year and under PBRA after living in a RAD property for two (2)
years. After the required time living in the RAD property after conversion, you may request a Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and will have priority on the HCV waiting list when an HCV is available.

Will I still be able to participate in self‐sufficiency programs?
The public housing Family‐Self‐Sufficiency Program (PH FSS) helps families obtain
and maintain living wage employment (income that covers a family’s basic needs)
by connecting residents to services. If you are a current participant in an FSS
program, you will still be able to participate in FSS after the RAD conversion.
If your development converts to PBV, you will be automatically moved from the
public housing FSS to the Housing Choice Voucher FSS program if your PHA has a
Housing Choice Voucher FSS program. The rules for both public housing and
Housing Choice Voucher FSS programs are very similar.
If your development converts to PBRA, you may continue your participation in FSS
until your current contract of participation ends. New participants may enroll only
if the owner voluntarily establishes an FSS program at the site.
The Resident Opportunities and Self Sufficiency‐Service Coordinators Program
(ROSS‐SC) program provides public housing residents with coordinators to connect them to supportive services and empowerment activities.

If you are a current participant in the ROSS‐SC, you can continue to participate in
ROSS‐SC until program funding is used up. Once the grant funds are spent, your
PHA cannot apply for a new grant for a RAD property.

What if I need more information?
For more information, go to the RAD website,